Mark Schwarzer makes a save. Click for more photos

Socceroos sharpen up in Qatar

Mark Schwarzer makes a save. Photo: Getty Images

SYDNEY FC fans were starting to wonder what ever happened to Matt Jurman. Since bursting on to the scene as a talented teenager in 2008, they could be forgiven for thinking he fell off the face of the earth, such was his decline from next big thing to nothing at all.

But just as everyone was preparing to accept that the initial hype was no more than hot air, Jurman was given one final chance by coach Vitezslav Lavicka to prove himself against Newcastle last Monday. Do well, and he might get another chance. Do poorly, and that was it. Despite dominating in the club's youth team, the central defender had only made one senior appearance all season.

The pressure had never been higher for the 21-year-old but in his first start since the final match of the ill-fated 2008-9 season Jurman seized the moment like never before. If he wasn't man of the match, he wasn't far off, repeatedly repelling attacks from the top six-hunting Jets.

He's back ... Matt Jurman in action for Sydney FC in 2009.

He's back ... Matt Jurman in action for Sydney FC in 2009. Photo: Getty Images

Of course, one excellent match alone doesn't make a season, but it makes sure he retains his place in Sydney's starting side for tonight's match against Gold Coast United at the Sydney Football Stadium.

''It's always a step up going into the first team but I really enjoyed it and even though it was the first time I've played alongside Stephan [Keller], I wanted to make sure that I would produce on the day,'' he said. ''In fact, I'd never played alongside Scott [Jamieson] and [Sung-hwan] Byun in a back four, so it was something that I had to be wary of. I had to work hard to fit in and not disrupt them. I think I settled in quickly and to come away with a win, after such a tough year for the team, meant it couldn't have gone much better. But it's up to me now, I guess. Hopefully I'll get another go on Saturday and if I can do well there, my goal is to keep my position for the rest of the season.''

It's a sign of how quickly things can change in football, with Jurman admitting he was expecting to see out the campaign in the youth team after being overlooked for so long.

''Even last week, I was planning to play youths against the AIS on Saturday but then a message popped up from 'Vitja' the day before saying: 'You're training with us and you'll come with us to Newcastle'. I still didn't know I'd be in the team until I got to training the next day,'' he said.

''That gave me all weekend to think about it. I haven't been that nervous before a match in a long time - it was a feeling I'd almost forgotten. Two years on the sidelines, it's a long time. You don't know if your time has passed or if you'll ever get the chance.''

Jurman is loath to reveal the extent of his despair from watching on but it was not a secret that he found his predicament increasingly demotivating.

''Every week you turn up and train … but it's incredibly hard when you know you're not going to be a part of it, especially when you once had a taste,'' he said.

Out of contract at season's end, Jurman knows he will only get a new deal if he continues to string together solid first-team matches - and that's all he can afford to think about for now.