الصفحات

Commenting Guidelines

احدث اجدد واروع واجمل واشيك Commenting Guidelines

First of all, I want to make it clear that I highly encourage everyone who reads 161st Street to comment. I understand a lot of people either don’t like to comment or do not have to time to comment, but the commenting system is very simple yet very rewarding. The most important part of any blog is reader interaction, and it’s tough to have that without comments. Still, while I want all readers to comment, there should be some guidelines to keep in mind when commenting which are only intended to encourage more people to comment. Here they are:

  1. Commenting here at 161st Street is very simple. No registration is necessary, and it is possible to comment without providing any information. However, I ask that you do provide a name and e-mail address. A name is particularly important because many people do not like talking to people who go by “anonymous.” And do not worry, I will not share your e-mail address with anyone so you can be sure that it is safe.
  2. Do not post spam or advertising. If you wish to promote your own blog you can do so easily by placing the URL of your site in the field found in commenting section labeled “website.” Promoting your own site withing an actual comment is unnecessary and can draw from a conversation.
  3. The posting of false breaking news will not be accepted. By this I do not mean that you will not be tolerated if you post news that a journalist reported that turned out to be false. I simply mean that you cannot just post breaking news that you just made up. Regarding true breaking news: you may either post about breaking news on the Off Topic page or use the “Submit a Tip” box in the sidebar to contact me, assuming there is no blog post already on the topic.
  4. While I do not censor any comments for profanity, let’s keep it to a minimum. While some people may take no offense to profanity we must keep in mind that others may and that 161st Street may be read by people of all ages and all walks of life.
  5. It is essential to keep comments on topic. Avoid posting something not related to the post at hand. Off topic comments are distracting and they take away from the subject at hand. If you wish to say something that is not related to any recent blog posts you are more than welcome to use the Off-Topic page where you can talk about just anything, including non-baseball related items, as long as it is not distasteful. I challenge you to post something “on topic” on the Off-Topic page.
  6. If your comment does not appear shortly after posting it, do not worry. Your comment was either marked for spam or you are a first time commenter. Either way, I recommend that you just wait. I will approve your comment as soon as possible and once you are approved once your future comments will be automatically approved as long as they pass the spam filter. If after waiting some time and your comment is still not visible, you are welcome to e-mail me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
  7. A majority of 161st Street’s readers are probably Yankee fans, but non-Yankees fans are encouraged to participate here as well. On that matter, fans of all teams, including the Yankees, are to be treated with respect.  In addition, personal attacks will not be tolerated.
  8. I understand that you will not always agree with my opinions, and I respect that everyone will have their own opinions. However, I will not tolerate anyone putting down others because they do not share their own opinion. If you wish to voice your disagreement with something I say or something someone else says, please go right ahead, however, do not just say, “You’re wrong.” Always try to back up your statements with substance, because quite frankly, empty arguments are not very believable even if they are correct.
  9. The following guidelines are not really rules but rather just comment etiquette:
    1. Correct grammar and spelling are highly appreciated and make a discussion much more fluid and comprehensible.
    2. Repeated comments are unnecessary and distracting. If you post something in one thread, there is no reason to post the same comment in another thread. Obviously, if you repost a comment by accident there is no reason to worry, but I might delete one of the repeated comments.
    3. Anyone who feels the need to declare that he/she was “first” to post in a thread will probably never comment here again. I don’t expect anyone to do this, but I’ve seen it elsewhere so I just want to make it know that this is unacceptable.
    4. There is no need to write anything in all capital letters. Writing in all capital letters in annoying and obnoxious. If you feel the need to show emotion, exclamation marks work very well.
    5. When citing recent material, it may be helpful to link to your sources so people don’t think you are just making something up.
    6. To keep things fluid and understandable I ask that whenever you wish to reply to a comment please use the “reply” button. This is important because in longer conversations it can be difficult to find replies if they are not in the appropriate location.
Well, if you just read all of those guidelines, thank you very much. These guidelines are not intended to shoo people away from commenting, but rather to encourage more people to comment. I’ve never really had any issues with any commenters, but that doesn’t mean present frequent commenters shouldn’t follow these guidelines. The only thing I am trying to change here at 161st Street is the quantity of commenters. My ultimate goal with this blog is to create large community of interacting baseball fans. So please, I know many readers do not like to comment, but please, give it a try.

...

المشاركات الشائعة