الصفحات

Steve Buckley, Boston Sportswriter, Comes Out of Closet in Column

احدث اجدد واروع واجمل واشيك Steve Buckley, Boston Sportswriter, Comes Out of Closet in Column

Steve Buckley, a longtime columnist for the Boston Herald, announced Thursday he's gay in an article titled "Welcome to my coming-out party." 

In the column, Buckley tells the story of how seven years ago his mother, who was accepting of his admission but wary of the scrutiny that would come if Buckley told the world at large, changed her mind and encouraged Buckley to come out in the newspaper. 

Buckley had planned to do so shortly afterward, but his mother passed away from cancer before he did. Seven years later, he's following through. Buckley explains: 

"My mother and I had already had the gay talk, during which she had told me that nothing had changed, that she loved me, asked if I was seeing anybody, and so on. What she didn't like was the idea of me coming out publicly; she was of the opinion that it was really nobody's business, and she worried that prejudice might disrupt my career.

But like an NFL referee, she had overturned the original call. 'Do it,' she said. I thanked her. She smiled."

He continued: "There was a funeral at Doherty's, and then a very soulful, reflective Christmas. And then a Super Bowl, and then spring training. The story didn't get done. Whenever I revisited the idea of coming out, I'd foolishly dwell on how it was to have been a big family event, my mother pulling everyone together. When that was lost, I guess I lost my way."

Buckley cites recent incidents of bullying against gays as part of his reasoning to come out now.

"I have read sobering stories about people who came undone, killing themselves after being outed. These tragic events helped guide me to the belief that if more people are able to be honest about who they are, ultimately fewer people will feel such devastating pressure."
Read More: Sports Business and Media steve+buckley, steve+buckley+boston+herald, steve+buckley+comes+out, steve+buckley+comes+out+of+closet, steve+buckley+gay

...

المشاركات الشائعة